Facebook is forcing a "real names" policy on entertainers

Amulya

It’s very sad that that is true now. And I don’t understand why most people use their real names on Facebook. And FB shouldn’t force people to change to their real names. People here in Australia have gotten into trouble when employers saw things posted on FB, of course they had their privacy settings not exactly on max security in that case.
Totally off topic, but I feel sorry for children who have already been plastered all over FB by their parents, they have no say in that

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
That's reason 22,596,204,308 that I wouldn't be caught dead on that site, TWITter, or anything like them.

That site was a thorn in my side way back when it was a very limited thing restricted to a few college campuses (AKA, written for teenagers and that's what you get even now: Teenaged DRAMA and angst). I had some idiot linking to my site claiming to be me. I took care of that, I blocked all links to my website from there, a policy which stands to this day! I got 32 rejected hits from there just the night before last. Then none whatsoever last night - they come and go in cycles.

I'm retired now, but I absolutely believe in an impenetrable IRON CURTAIN between my work, and home lives. There is a very disturbing trend among employers who seem to think they own you 24/7/365 - which I patently disagree with. 8 hours pay for 8 hours work, and the relationship ends there. Which makes reason 22,596,204,309 to stay the hell off of that site and anything like it - don't give your employer any ammunition!

I had a very interesting chat with an Internet security guru - who not only confirmed my suspicions about these sites, but informed me that they were FAR worse than I even dreamed, and had examples to back it up! Certainly, there are far fewer IT types there percentage wise than there are in the general population - "We know better".

Last edited:

Shanazel

Yeah, I really don't like being on Facebook even under an assumed name and wish there was a way I could keep up the museum page without having a personal account. It isn't exactly a job perk.

Greek Bonfire

That's reason 22,596,204,308 that I wouldn't be caught dead on that site, TWITter, or anything like them.

That site was a thorn in my side way back when it was a very limited thing restricted to a few college campuses (AKA, written for teenagers and that's what you get even now: Teenaged DRAMA and angst). I had some idiot linking to my site claiming to be me. I took care of that, I blocked all links to my website from there, a policy which stands to this day! I got 32 rejected hits from there just the night before last. Then none whatsoever last night - they come and go in cycles.

I'm retired now, but I absolutely believe in an impenetrable IRON CURTAIN between my work, and home lives. There is a very disturbing trend among employers who seem to think they own you 24/7/365 - which I patently disagree with. 8 hours pay for 8 hours work, and the relationship ends there. Which makes reason 22,596,204,309 to stay the hell off of that site and anything like it - don't give your employer any ammunition!

I had a very interesting chat with an Internet security guru - who not only confirmed my suspicions about these sites, but informed me that they were FAR worse than I even dreamed, and had examples to back it up! Certainly, there are far fewer IT types there percentage wise than there are in the general population - "We know better".
TOTALLY! And Facebok is the only medium that insists on real name policies. I do not want some prospective employer finding my personal life that I share because they have to earn that privilege!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yeah, I really don't like being on Facebook even under an assumed name and wish there was a way I could keep up the museum page without having a personal account. It isn't exactly a job perk.

The Internet security guy said that if you "must" be on these sites, lie. Use a real sounding, but completely fake name, fake DOB, fake location, fake everything. "Patricia Goldstein" sounds completely legit, "Adolf Hitler", not so much...

And always, always, always purge your browser when you're done being on the site!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"

The Internet security guy said that if you "must" be on these sites, lie. Use a real sounding, but completely fake name, fake DOB, fake location, fake everything. "Patricia Goldstein" sounds completely legit, "Adolf Hitler", not so much...

Never mention anything in connection with your real life, which really means you probably shouldn't connect with anyone there that you don't trust 1,000%. I tell people they can post pix of me, and talk about me, but to NEVER mention my legal name or any other information of that type.

Ariadne

Every once in a while I will do a search for my name to see if anything has been posted. If I find something I'll contact the relative who put it up and ask them to remove it. I usually don't however, find anything that is.

Amulya

I’m interested what they say about it. I have a friend who doesn’t trust google, FB and a few other connected things, so he uses a different email address, that’s supposed to be safe and another friend even has his own domain so he can have an email address that’s safe. I’m wondering is that’s overload though.

Shanazel

At least it is letting you type. It keeps messing with my typing, not allowing me to complete words, skipping spaces, etc. Heaven knows, I don't need any help messing up.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have my own domain because I consider that "professional", but now that you mention it, it does free one from having to use Gmail et al. *shrug*

Shanazel

Hmmm. Never thought about that. Is it expensive to get and maintain a domain? (Sounds like I'm a dragon looking for territory.)

Amulya

I had mine for years, it’s good to have for belly dance. Much more professional and you can put your videos on it instead of YouTube or FB which is probably better. And you can have your own email from your domain. And like Zorba said, not expensive and also not that hard to set up, nowadays lots of providers offer easy ways to do that. I don’t have mine anymore because I retired.

Shanazel

I will have to look into it, not for dance but for the other parts of my business. People regularly ask if I have a website and I just as regularly say no. Um, a domain and a website go together, right? :rolleyes: About the time I think I'm computer literate, I face a new learning curve.

Daimona

I will have to look into it, not for dance but for the other parts of my business. People regularly ask if I have a website and I just as regularly say no. Um, a domain and a website go together, right? :rolleyes: About the time I think I'm computer literate, I face a new learning curve.

Yes, they go together (that being said, you don't need to have your own domain to have a website or vice versa ) ;)

Ariadne

There's always wix.com. If you don't mind them being part of your url it's free or you can pay for a domain for your own or a business. I've played at making a website with them and it's very intuitive.