Fabric, notions, and sewing tips

teela

Em-be does not have a web site. I just checked. YOu can reach him by phone. I end up in Los Angeles once a year and often go shopping when I am there.

Shanazel

Are there twelve step groups for sewing addicts?

If so, I think I'll avoid them. In order to quit, you have to want to quit, you know... ooo, terrible idea, that.

Have you ordered from Spandex House, Jane? I'm looking for a source of powernet.

Jane

Are there twelve step groups for sewing addicts?

If so, I think I'll avoid them. In order to quit, you have to want to quit, you know... ooo, terrible idea, that.

Have you ordered from Spandex House, Jane? I'm looking for a source of powernet.

It's been two years since I've ordered from them. Powernet from them was good quality and heavy. I tell everyone to get a swatch first of course :)

"Hi I'm Jane and I'm a textile-holic"

AndreaSTL

I have a bunch of old crappy thread, too. I'm doing a hand-pieced hexagon quilt, and I use it for basting. I'd be afraid to use it for real seams, but for basting it doesn't matter.

For quilting I only buy 100% cotton fabrics. I'm getting rid of the poly blends or using them for crafts. My grandma gave me a bunch of charm square packs she got at WM, but I'm going to take them to the thrift store because they're a thin poly/cotton blend. If I take the time to do a quilt I don't want it coming apart at the seams because of the fabric! I have cut up clothing for memory quilts, but I'm not as concerned there. I figure if they can stand up to that many washes and dries as a garment they'll be fine in a quilt.

Fabric.com has both cottons & fancies. Their sales are tiered by percentage discounted, so you can take your chances and wait for it to hit the next bracket or jump on it right away. I've only ordered from them twice, but I've been happy both times - nice fabric & speedy delivery.

What type of thread are you using? I agree that C&C fuzzes up the machine terribly. I can't afford to go all Aurifil, but I would like to use something better. I have some Gutterman, but since I also use C&C on the same machine I'm not sure if it's less fuzzy or not.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Catch the fabric addict bug- it's just like cooties! :lol:
Tell me about it. Last time we all piled into the car for the trip to "Fabrics R Us", 50 miles away - even MY WIFE bought a couple of yards of some fabric that caught her eye. Why is this remarkable? She doesn't sew - at least she won't sew with a machine. She'll happily hand stitch all day, but sewing machines terrify her.

This fabric has sat around for about a year - but now it looks like it needs to be made into a skirt for her. Guess who gets to make it? :lol:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
What type of thread are you using? I agree that C&C fuzzes up the machine terribly. I can't afford to go all Aurifil, but I would like to use something better. I have some Gutterman, but since I also use C&C on the same machine I'm not sure if it's less fuzzy or not.
I use Guterman, or Mettler, or similar. C&C only under duress - my somewhat finicky machine doesn't like it - although I'm "cautiously optimistic" that I recently found, and fixed, the cause of its finicky moods.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
A few fave links of my own:

If you don't know how to set your thread tension - or even if you think you do: tensionadjustment

Various presser feet: Creative Feet - Sewing Machine Presser Feet - Sewing Supplies

Nancy's Notions: Sewing supplies, quilting supplies, embroidery designs

Cosplay supplies: CosplaySupplies.com - costumes, accesories, wigs, footwear, craft supplies and more

I find however, much to my distress, that my favorite site for buying Jacquard and other trims is not there anymore...

However, this one has already gotten me into trouble:

http://www.gloryshouse.com/

They had several remnants of a beaded trim that is *SO* my colors. Don't know what I'm going to use it for yet, but I dug through the remnants bin and grabbed all of them!

Last edited:

Darshiva

I use Guterman, or Mettler, or similar. C&C only under duress - my somewhat finicky machine doesn't like it - although I'm "cautiously optimistic" that I recently found, and fixed, the cause of its finicky moods.

Speaking of gutterman thread, has anyone else found that their quality has taken a dive in the last 12 months?

I'm having issues with knotting thread with this brand that I never used to have. I thought it was just my imagination until I needed to use an older colour for a project and it's working perfectly fine. But the newer thread knots while you're hand-sewing if you look at it sideways!

Shanazel

Well for goodness sake, Dar, quit looking at it sideways. :)

I haven't bought Gutterman recently. Try running it through beeswax; that might eliminate tangling problems.

Metler was the brand recommended by the folks from whom I bought my machine. When they pointed out the difference between it and C&C, I nearly dropped my teeth- how had I sewn all those years without noticing how fuzzy C&C was? Naturally I had just invested in a whole line of gray C&C when I found this out. I use it for hand stitching now and my older stuff for hand basting- won't put any of that mess in my dearly beloved Janome. What's so funny is that I would never DREAM of using C&C embroidery floss which is totally gross stuff, yet it didn't occur to me that the sewing thread might be pretty gross, too.

Exotic Silks - Wholesale Silk Fabric at Low Prices wholesale silk

Thai Silks - Imported Silk Fabrics retail silk (same company as above, I'm told)

Sewing - Sewing Patterns & Sewing Machines. Butterick & Kwik Sew Patterns. Sewing Machine Reviews & Pattern Reviews. Sewing Classes at PatternReview.com great site for checking out suggestions and problems with commercial patterns

Last edited:

da Sage

You can actually get some great deals at Wal-mart on their sale rack but you have to know your fabric. Their sale rack is basically whatever fabrics other store couldn't sell that they've put on unlabeled bolts. They have a lot of crap but if you know your fabric you can occasionally find a gem. My M-I-L works there and she has come home with some beautiful linens and cottons that are identical with what she would have gotten at a major store at a fraction of the price.

I agree. I see awful stuff at all the local fabric stores; Walmart is no different. You just buy the good stuff instead of the crap, and then you're golden!

They had pure cotton batiste on sale for $2/yd, last week. I passed it up because I didn't have a project. I was very proud of myself. Now I'm somewhat regretful...

Shanazel

I've spent a good part of tonight neatening up my computer files, including all four e-mail accounts and my favorites list. All is well except...

I accidentally deleted my list of favorite sewing sites. Really. All of them. Every... single...one. That's what I get for neatly listing them all under a single heading.

:(

M'Lady Caija

What sewing machines do you use? I Have two old workhorses at home, one Husqvarna automatic from 1960-65, and one Singer Melodie that my grandmother bought sometime during the middle of 1970. they're great in wool and linen, and cotton fabrics, but for silk and other really thin fabrics it tends to tug a bit.

Mom has a janome, and that one is more of an industrial-machine type but dear Gods of mine! That machine is divine to sew on!

But I'm mostly a sewing by hand, since I find the stitching to be neater and more exact than the ones on machines....

gisela

Super Moderator
I've spent a good part of tonight neatening up my computer files, including all four e-mail accounts and my favorites list. All is well except...

I accidentally deleted my list of favorite sewing sites. Really. All of them. Every... single...one. That's what I get for neatly listing them all under a single heading.

:(

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
click this. It will feel better.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
What sewing machines do you use?
My primary machine was also my first: A White 690 from 1976. Kind of an oddball, slightly hard to find bobbins and such for it. Its a flatbed, I found an old Singer cabinet for it. This is my only zig-zag capable machine - so it sees a lot of use.

That got me off onto a Sewing Machine collecting kick - I now have 6 - plus a Pfaff 776 (1992) Serger.

My very favorite is a 1957 Singer 99K - straight stitch only - that sews so smooth, and so well. There's just something about well oiled reciprocating cast iron. Its my "away" machine, it gets toted to "Stitch & Bitch" sessions. Then I have a pair of old Nationals from the 1940s - a Rotary sold by Montgomery Wards, and a "Vibrating Shuttle" model. Top that off with a tiny "Micro-Bell" (1952) and my current project: an 1891 Singer VS2 that will take a full restoration.

I also recently fixed up a1940s Kenmore-by-White rotary for a Homeless kids school.

For the curious, all my SM adventures are at:

Zorba's Secret Sewing Machine Page!

Shanazel

A few years ago I splurged and bought myself a Janome 4900. Oooooohhhhmyyyyyyygoooodnesss, how did I live so long without this machine? The machine I had before this was a 1970 (or so) Singer that served me well for almost 40 years, but the Janome is smooth as butter compared to the rough ride of the Singer. I also have my mother's 1950 machine, my grandmother's treadle, my husband's grandmother's treadle, and at least two other machines that neither my husband nor I recall bringing into the relationship (strays that took up lodging in a closet?). I also have two toy chain stitch sewing machines from my childhood that work by turning a handle.

Gisela, thank you so much for the noooooooooooo! I love it and listed it on my favorites.