Dancers You Don't Like

LadyLoba

Just wondering...does anyone have any particular dancers they just flat out don't like? I'm not asking people to list names...that can get mean and start arguments...but are there dancers that you acknowledge have solid skills...just doyou n't like their style or don't care to watch them perform?

*you just don't

shiradotnet

This is off topic, but I just wanted to say I love the quote in your signature line: "Never hurt a fiction writer. You will wind up the model for the villain in their next story."

Yame

There are dancers I don't like because I think they lack skill and technique (this doesn't apply to beginners, but to dancers who advertise themselves as professionals).

Then there are dancers whose skills and technique I can recognize, but whose styles do nothing for me, perhaps because I don't feel their musicality or the emotion seems fake, or I don't like the music they used, perhaps because I don't like the moves they do or the way they are doing them even though I can appreciate the fact that it took a lot of work for them to get to that point. Maybe I don't like the way they portray belly dance, or I don't think they seek enough information from authentic sources.

I'm generally very critical, so most performances have a few things I like and a few things I dislike, there are performances by my favorite dancers that I don't like and performances by some dancers I don't normally like that I really enjoy. I always take the person's level into account, and I like to see progress in people. Staleness is one of my least favorite things in a dancer.

Daimona

There are dancers I don't like because I think they lack skill and technique (this doesn't apply to beginners, but to dancers who advertise themselves as professionals).

Then there are dancers whose skills and technique I can recognize, but whose styles do nothing for me, perhaps because I don't feel their musicality or the emotion seems fake, or I don't like the music they used, perhaps because I don't like the moves they do or the way they are doing them even though I can appreciate the fact that it took a lot of work for them to get to that point. Maybe I don't like the way they portray belly dance, or I don't think they seek enough information from authentic sources.

I'm generally very critical, so most performances have a few things I like and a few things I dislike, there are performances by my favorite dancers that I don't like and performances by some dancers I don't normally like that I really enjoy. I always take the person's level into account, and I like to see progress in people. Staleness is one of my least favorite things in a dancer.

I agree so much with this! Couldn't have said it better myself, but wanted to add something:
If I get a feeling the dancer doesn't like what she/he is doing on stage and projects it (being bored or unconfortable, nervousness is forgivable though) whatever level the dancer is, they might as well have stayed at home... ( Ok, this may have sounded a bit harsh and even pro dancers may have a bad day at work, but why be an artist if you don't like it? ;) )

Last edited:

Afrit

1. Dancers with no feel for the music.
  2. Dancers who jam lots of moves into a single performance.
  3. Dancers who spend their time being clever ("oooh look what I can do") rather than dancing.
  4. Dancers who always use non-Middle Eastern music.
  5. Dancers who are actually doing some other form of dance but call it "belly dance".

jenc

This may be harsh - but dancers who are too self-conscious to project (purely amateur level this one so I may be being harsh)

Nath

I think this sums it up nicely for me too. I have to rep you for it. :)

Aniseteph

What Yame said, what Afrit said. (I've been throwing the rep about with gay abandon today! :dance:)

I let students off pretty much anything provided they are presented as such at student-appropriate events, even if it's dull or not great dancing or I hate the music... as long as I get the opportunities to have my revenge some time! ;)

I really don't like craptastic fusion in the name of belly dance. Although at least sometimes you can have a good laugh at the What Were They Thinking ones. (ugh, flashback.... sometimes it's so WTF? it's not funny).

Belly Love

I don't like it when dancers accept tips in their actual costume. I know it's a common thing to do in bd, but it would make me personally uncomfortable to do it and I don't like seeing other's do it. Just letting any random stranger, even a man, touch your body to give you a dollar... I just don't like it. I don't hate it and think it's disgusting or look down on anyone for doing it, it's just a little too close for comfort. I think if I were to dance and accept tips, I would want a little pocket or something attached to my belt that people could put tips in.

Maybe one of you ladies who does this can explain why it doesn't make you, or the many others who do it, uncomfortable? Maybe I'm just too sensitive when it comes to personal space...?

charlieL

Dancers very fat or very thin.

Dancers who shows the 32 teeth during the performance or those whose facial expression is like somebody owes a lot of money and havent paid.

Too technical but no artistry or too artistry but zero technique.

Yame

Oh, you know what *really* ticks me off? Dancers who can't play a single rhythm on zills but insist on performing with them. I'm in full-on berzerker mode right now after seeing one of those.

Farasha Hanem

1. Dancers with no feel for the music.
  2. Dancers who jam lots of moves into a single performance.
  3. Dancers who spend their time being clever ("oooh look what I can do") rather than dancing.
  4. Dancers who always use non-Middle Eastern music.
  5. Dancers who are actually doing some other form of dance but call it "belly dance".

Also, dancers who use gimmicks or props to cover up their lack of skills. While I'm at it, I'll add the ones who use too many props in an effort to show off ("Look what all I can do!").

This may be harsh - but dancers who are too self-conscious to project (purely amateur level this one so I may be being harsh)

This is the problem I deal with personally. My teacher recognizes this, and in her lovable, funny, Sgt. Teacher way is trying to help me with this. xD When she sees me shying away from doing something, like merging into formation, she'll yell, "JUST KNOCK THE *BEEPS!* OUT OF THE WAY!" :lol:

Last edited:

MissVega

I pretty much agree with everything that has already been said.
Plus I have something to add that drives me nuts; When dancers take themselves too seriously :rolleyes:
It's dance its supposed to be fun, expressive, liberating. So when I see dancers getting all caught up in themselves or wanting everything to be perfect all the time I want to just kick them in the butt and say "lighten up".

How competitive people can get drives me nuts. I mean I love competing in the horse world as many of you know but not when people are constantly looking at all the other horses and going "Oh my god, is that horse nicer than mine?". When dancers are all "I want to be the best in the class", "Is that dancer better than me?".... it's too subjective to have a "number one" so please just be yourself:D

And finally similar to the annoyance of overuse of props to avoid actually dancing, overuse of costume/makeup. It does bother me when dancer is all costume and makeup and the quality of dance just isn't there. :confused:

Yame

And finally similar to the annoyance of overuse of props to avoid actually dancing, overuse of costume/makeup. It does bother me when dancer is all costume and makeup and the quality of dance just isn't there. :confused:
Yes!

Now, regarding projection... I see it as something that really adds to a performance, but honestly, a dancer who seems a bit shy on stage but still dances well would not be on my "dislike" list, especially if she's a beginner. I'd say that great energy and expression is definitely a requirement for pros, though.

And, regarding body-tipping, although I see the similarity to that other type of dance, I have nothing against it. I don't know if I would personally be comfortable with it, but it doesn't bother me to see it being done. It is part of the culture and tradition, and there are some great arguments both for and against it, which leaves me ambivalent on the topic. I could live with it and I could live without it.

Last edited:

adiemus

I agree about the tips in costume - I don't like it. It reminds me waaay too much of strip club 'dancers'.
I'm ambivalent about 'projection' - if it's about connecting with the music and the audience, then that's vital, but if it's about a fake smile then I'm less comfortable with it. 'Energy' can sometimes come across as fake (a bit energiser bunny if you know what I mean!), but if it's in line with the music and it's honest, then fair enough.

My pet hates are (for professional dancers, of course - all of us were learners once, so much can be forgiven in a baby dancer!): way too many movements; costumes where the boobage threatens to overflow (I get distracted and have to cross my fingers and hold my breath that nothing embarrassing happens to the poor dancer!); fusion done badly (actually, a LOT of fusion falls into that for me); troupe dancing that is out of time (ooops! guilty on that one LOL!); props that become more important than the dancing

That'll about do it for now!

Amulya

Dancers doing non-sense fusion or go to extremes to get attention (remember the dancer with the 'pierced wings' from a couple of years back?)

seona

Qualities that appeal to me mainly are musicality , personality and energy. That's what I look for in a professional dancer. With professional dancing I don't like loads of fancy tricks and frantic dancing, I like to see one move just flow into another effortlessly. I like to see emotion - but true emotions, I saw a dancer on utube once who seemed to over do the emotion too much that it came across as corny and a tad fake. And I don't like watching dancers dance to beats that just are not there lol

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
Dancers very fat or very thin.

Too technical but no artistry or too artistry but zero technique.

Check, only likes creatures that don't physically exist :lol:.

Dancers who shows the 32 teeth during the performance or those whose facial expression is like somebody owes a lot of money and haven't paid.

It is physically impossible to smile big enough to show every single one of your teeth. Unless you are able to unhinge your jawbones like an anaconda but if one could then there have to be some alien mutation going on there. So again this brings us back to people that don't physically exist.

Anyway I'm safe on that because I don't have 32 teeth, had 4 removed as a child :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(remember the dancer with the 'pierced wings' from a couple of years back?)

Seriously? they pierced a set of isis wings?

Last edited: