Dalila Of Cairo..Shameful Performance In India?

Safran

Eshta, that is a pretty interesting story! You did right by just performing what you were hired to do.

As for the clip in question, there seems several differing philosophies about touching your clothes while dancing. I mostly studied Turkish style and there are rules as to how to touch or grasp your skirt..it was creepy to see what she did for me with her skirt coming from my training.any Egyptian style dancers that can fill me in on any rules regarding moving a skirt?This was posted by her, so she must be proud of it. I do not think I would post my costume mistake if I could help it.
Can't tell you any rules because there probably aren't any. But I can give you an example from the golden age, where it looks nice, natural and completely innocent. Look at around 4:05.

Greek Bonfire

Yes, it is shameful because she's missing some of her costume! At least that is the way it looks at first. And the, uh, five o'clock shadow is very distracting. Very poor choice of costume.

Rania

Shes a really talented preformer, the skirt was see through, but its not horrible or extremly not tacky. however i would not wear it..

I have seen preformances on youtube, that are down right perverted. But, this preformance seems fine to me.

Last edited:

Amulya

I was finally able to have a look at the clip. That is one of the most TPBDC I have ever seen... It's basically just dancing in underwear with some fluffy stuff added. What a shame, she is a good dancer and owns normal costumes too!

Pretty & talented dancer, lovely performance.

Unfortunate, sad costume...belly dancing in a conservative two piece bathing suit and a peculiar skirt... confusing.

Enjoyed the dancers peeking from the wings during her performance. :)

Belly Love

I liked her dancing very much. The skirt is... yuck. I also found her costume (skirt specifically) to be innapropriate and I'm surprised that more ladies who commented don't as well. Out of all of the belly dancers I've seen, this is the first time I have actually ever seen someone's crotch... over and over and over. That along with the skirt being see-through, is there much of a difference between this and her just wearing underwear on stage? A little, not much. Very vulgar to me.

Oh, and with her pulling aside the skirt, it gives the illusion that she's trying to flash her crotch! Yuck.

Meera

She is a great dancer that's why the ' ill use of costume' threw me off. They do have caberet dancers in India.the mujra club is the equivalent of the strip club in the west.it is considered scandelous. These dancers often wear bellydance costumes and do what she did with her skirt and sad to say dancing is not the only thing these dancers do, it is just the beginning. Maybe watch the video of Michelle Joyce and the riot in India. I have lived in Delhi and understand the culture well. Can't really fully explain it in short except that it is offensive to show that much of your lower body in India.
Im sure this was nothing compared to Katrina Kaif's, "Sheila Ki Jawani" or most bollywood movies for that matter. Kareena wore a very revealing Bikini in Tashaan and Aishwarya in Dhoom and Celina Jaitley in all her movies. This was really nothing compared to many recent movies in india that have been out. I mean of course you wouldn't walk around in India in this type of costume, but for a performance I dont think anyone would care lol

goddessyasaman

I don't think that she was moving the skirt for them to take photos of her...stuff, I don't like the skirt but thats her if she is into this style of costumes then you know. but She is a great dancer though.

Shakti

Hi Meera!

Glad you mentioned "Shiela ki Jawani", touted as Katrina's bellydancing debut. Really not bellydancing, more of a Shakira dance number. And bellydance was in the news bigtime there showing Katrina dancing in a mans shirt and shorts all the while the industry is selling it as bellydance, it was not bellydancing, more of a tease type dance.

Bollywood stars, ( as we know) and performers are held to a different standard of decency, than the majority of women there. This being a seminar/show, for dancers who lead everday lives (not just performer lives) I think it was a bit much. I do not think that she was fully aware of her questionable actions with regaurds to moving her skirt, I think maybe she had not rehearsed enough with it to know how that gesture would look.

I am very excited that bellydance is catching on in India, I have seen reports on TV there showing bellydance being described as trashy, scandelous and other unsavory titles. And also news reports showing bellydance as a new fitness trend.

Remember the bogus news report of Katrina having to stop production of Sheila ki Jawani, bc she sprained a muscle in her stomach?, After watching the video..if she was doing actual bellydance..she never would have injured herself..(I doubt she did in reality..just anouther way to boost interest for the movie)

Glad you are here on the forum Meera..we have alot in common!

seona

You peeps should check out Gilded Serpent, there's a recent article that touches upon the subjects you're talking of. Sorry, would link if I could.

The articles titled 'empowering woman in India through belly dance'.

Last edited:

Sara

She is awesome! ^_^ Maybe she had a spur of the moment rush and thought she'd have a crazy empowering liberating moment? I'm sure we all get them, just we check ourselves, go back and change. :D

I remember one Indian music video with Shilpa Shetty and se was wearing a body suit which was narrowing down er stomach and the guy in the music video tugged at it with his fingers. Hang on, I'll try and find it.

Nope no luck :(

Taslin

I personally was taken back and felt pretty uncomfortable when she "flashed". I see it as more of a wardrobe malfunction-or poor choice in wardrobe. Its not that she was wearing something inappropriate, its that it looked inappropriate. The color and and cut of the outfit (tightness) added to the look of "vulgarity". Yeah , i did think that one part was vulgar. Her underwear type thing looked nude and too tight. Its not that she was wearing so little IMO-It just didnt look good. At all. If she had gone with a black bottom it might have been better.

It's unfortunate because as many have said she's an amazing dancer...and i dont think she was intending for the effect-As someone pointed out she only played with her skirt the one time. I'm very open minded and wasn't expecting to be offended.

I feel bad for her. I think that i would feel the same regardless of what country she was in. I dont think her wardrobe issue was an issue purely because of the location. I could see people getting offended other places for non-cultural reasons.

Imeera

Im sure this was nothing compared to Katrina Kaif's, "Sheila Ki Jawani" or most bollywood movies for that matter. Kareena wore a very revealing Bikini in Tashaan and Aishwarya in Dhoom and Celina Jaitley in all her movies. This was really nothing compared to many recent movies in india that have been out. I mean of course you wouldn't walk around in India in this type of costume, but for a performance I dont think anyone would care lol
Yeah, I wondered about this in India. The women in films can be almost naked and the films are popular, so maybe its like... In a film, or performance its almost not real? Its just fantasy so its okay. Like a painting of naked men and women, you don't walk around naked or show naked photos around but in a painting, or even advertising in the West, its seen as a kind of art, which is not real, so its okay. Sorry I can't explain myself better :lol: I hope you get what I mean :redface:

Rp1983

That's what I was thinking, especially when bollywood dancers take belly dance moves and term it as "Indian dance."

BellaBohemian

To me its just an unflattering costume. I was too distracted by the costume to really pay much attention to the dance. I think the only negative things I have to say is that if you're going to promote BD in another country you should present yourself as professionally as possible, and I just dont find that costume professional or flattering. :confused:

LaurenRaqs

I really, really enjoyed the performance, WOW. Great drum solo.

The costume isn't very appealing to me, but I've gotten used to looking past costumes I don't like.

I agree that some cultural sensitivity might have been in order. On the other hand, this is who they hired, right? If they hired Cher or Lady GaGa, no one would expect any toning down. If it was important to have a soft, ladylike dancer who dresses modestly, they would have hired one, I think.

I think sometimes it's much more painful when we're watching through the eyes of people whose opinions matter to us, which may be what's going on with Shakti in this clip. Trying to watch through someone else's eyes, to imagine what they might be thinking, brings every potential horror to the surface.

Luckily, people are rarely as judgmental as we imagine them to be. I'm sure the Indian people, although they are conservative with their own dress, are just as capable of understanding cultural differences as we are. (at least those who would COME to a bellydance show should be). I can enjoy Native American performances with butts hanging out of loincloths, African dance clips with bare breasts, etc. Those costumes are way outside my cultural norm... but I know what I'm watching is from a different culture, so I can watch with judgment suspended. (I would be shocked/outraged if Dina, Rihanna, etc. decided to perform topless)

arcane77

She seems to dance really well, as for the skirt it does look a little "Eh.."
The shadow/lighting/fabric on the "down there area" makes you do a double take for sure!

is she wearing boy shorts with the fabric attached to it? Gives me an idea for a new way to make a skirt!

LadyLoba

To me it looked like she wasn't trying to flash her va jay jay...it looked like she was trying to do a traveling step and the skirt was just cut so strangely it turned out that way. I thought what a lot of people thought...amazing dance...horrible skirt. It looked like she forgot her skirt so she ran in the prop room and fashioned one out of christmas tree garland.

Greek Bonfire

I thought the performance was fantastic. But as a professional and experienced bellydancer, she should've had more sense when it came to costuming.