Coverage

Suzanne Azhaar

What's the fastest way you've seen to cover the top woven edge of a meter of Egyptian fringe? Not in the mood to bead (will if I have to, but if someone else has a time-saving, better idea, that would be great). Thanks!

Suzanne Azhaar

How I miss Hancock fabrics...
I miss walking into Hancock's also; Hancock's of Paducah still exists online. Deeply miss the L.A. Fashion district and what it had to offer. As far as I can discover, many of the businesses have closed. Which breaks my heart.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I miss walking into Hancock's also; Hancock's of Paducah still exists online. Deeply miss the L.A. Fashion district and what it had to offer. As far as I can discover, many of the businesses have closed. Which breaks my heart.
We had a Hancock's literally within walking distance of my house here in Florida. They weren't the famed "Fabrics R Us" of San Jose, Ca - but they were pretty darn good and better than JoAnne's for costuming type stuff. I still have several reels of coin trim that I bought in their closeout sale. Dunno if I'll ever use it or not, but couldn't pass it up and JoAnne's never has anything like that plus JoAnne's is an hour away!

Suzanne Azhaar

We had a Hancock's literally within walking distance of my house here in Florida. They weren't the famed "Fabrics R Us" of San Jose, Ca - but they were pretty darn good and better than JoAnne's for costuming type stuff. I still have several reels of coin trim that I bought in their closeout sale. Dunno if I'll ever use it or not, but couldn't pass it up and JoAnne's never has anything like that plus JoAnne's is an hour away!
Ohhhh, pics of the coin trim please. JoAnne's is a 45 minute round trip. I'll go for pattern sales- Butterick patterns $2 right now. Purchased ten Victorian patterns and a bag to put them in. But, I really miss the selection of fabric that was available at Hancock. They had lovely wools and quite a selection for costuming. JoAnne's is predominantly for quilters; quality cotton and quality dyes used. (Quilters demand quality.) But darn, I'd love to walk into an enormous fabric warehouse and spend a few hours.

Shanazel

Our Hancocks closed years ago. The closest Joann is almost 200 miles away in Cheyenne, and it is most uninspiring. I went to the one in Ft. Collins on my last visit down and came away with a single pattern for a Victorian-style coat that was on sale. Actually, the sale had ended the day before but they hadn't taken down the signs, so I got the discount. Second time that has happened in Joanns.

I hate to contemplate buying fabric online. Have only done it once to buy a piece of vintage plisse for a specific project.

Suzanne Azhaar

Our Hancocks closed years ago. The closest Joann is almost 200 miles away in Cheyenne, and it is most uninspiring. I went to the one in Ft. Collins on my last visit down and came away with a single pattern for a Victorian-style coat that was on sale. Actually, the sale had ended the day before but they hadn't taken down the signs, so I got the discount. Second time that has happened in Joanns.

I hate to contemplate buying fabric online. Have only done it once to buy a piece of vintage plisse for a specific project.
Buying fabrics online is a 'hit or miss' experience. Recommend swatches, however, this last round I did not buy a swatch first and now own seven yards of peculiar red wool. Thankfully, already own four yards of red Merino wool, so all is not lost. Hubby would like to portray 'Father Christmas' for this year's promenade. Two weeks to Christmas, I need to get on it.