Bellydance, burlesque and circo arts - in NZ?

adiemus

This afternoon I was listening to New Zealand's National Radio and lo! and behold! I heard the words 'bellydance'! My ears pricked up and I wound the volume up only to also hear the words 'burlesque' and 'circo arts' all in the same sentence... and held my breath.

Go here for the recording, it's about 18 minutes long, and most of it is pretty OK, at least the dancer makes it clear that bellydance is not burlesque - but oh are they treading a very fine line...

I'm interested in what you think - does 'using some of the movements' equal bellydance? If it doesn't then why use the term? Couldn't the dance be simply called 'exotic dance burlseque'? Why call it bellydance?!!!!!

Aniseteph

Gotta go out so I'll listen to it later, but kneejerk reactions.:

1. does 'using some of the movements' equal bellydance?
No. It doesn't. No no no no. Seems to be that a lot of dancers think that way though. "Belly dance means precisely what I want it to mean". Hmm... :think:

2. If it doesn't then why use the term?
Because to the general public bellydance conjures up images of sultry sirens gyrating in provocative ways for your entertainment.*

* unless they have seen the local hobbyist student troupe in which case their prejudices might have had a confusing nudge.

3. Couldn't the dance be simply called 'exotic dance burlseque'? Or just leave it as burlesque, which draws from any reference you like but isn't actually what it's burlesqu'ing. A burlesque flamenco dancer wouldn't actually be doing a real flamenco performance, it's a parody.

4. Why call it bellydance?!!!!! See 2. Marketing, it sells, ooh saucy bellydancers nudge nudge... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Zumarrad

It's not solely about the movement, but there are a lot of bellydancers who also do burly/circus etc etc who don't get that. They have a thing about being belly dancers and loooook, the Indigo do X and Insert American Fusion Dancer does Y, so therefore it must be belly dancing.

Not listening to that, don't want to know who it is.