Belly dance defined

Tenica

Wow,

Yes that is pretty cool!

Congratulations Chryssanthi!!!

The article is fairly good as well.

It´s brief with little detail, but I think it is a great introduction to Belly Dance.

Thanks for sharing this.

Tenica

Mouse

I really enjoyed reading that - thanks for the link! And I love that green - great photo Chryssanthi!!

Kiraze

Oh, Chryssanti looks absolutely beautiful!

Also article is fine otherwise but I am bothered by the beginning of chapter about Turkish forms:
"Some mistakenly believe that Turkish oriental dancing is known as Çiftetelli due to the fact that this style of music has been incorporated into oriental dancing by Greeks and gypsies, illustrated by the fact that the Greek belly dance is called Tsifteteli. However, Turkish Çiftetelli is more correctly a form of wedding folk music, the part that makes up the lively part of the dance at the wedding and is not connected with oriental dancing"

*I* have never ever heard that some would believe Turkish belly dance to be known as ciftetelli - mixing with karsilama could be somehow understandable but with ciftetelli not... and I would not even categorize ciftetelli to be wedding folk music either as it is simply a rhythm used both as slow and fast versions in many different types of Turkish (and Greek) music :confused:

samsied

Hi Kiraze!

I thought Chiftitelli was simply a name of a rhythm and maybe a folk dance before reading on this forum. I can see how some people might get confused as it does seem to be several things: a name of a rhythm, a style of music and a style of dance. (The music does not have to have the rhythym we might ID as chifitelli either).

See the excellent article by our Wikkipedia cover girl on this site and this previous thread (and others) for details: http://forum.orientaldancer.net/showthread.php?t=51:)

Kiraze

Yes, I am well aware that Greek "belly dance" is called tsifteteli but Turkish belly dance can be called Oryantal, Göbek Dansi, Oyun Havalar and/or Rakkase (and couple of other names too) but if Turks are speaking about Ciftetelli *they* are never speaking about belly dance (and most of the dancers who are dancing Turkish style would not mistake these two either) so I wonder if our dear Greek dance friends have by accident caused this confusion here ;)

samsied

but if Turks are speaking about Ciftetelli *they* are never speaking about belly dance (and most of the dancers who are dancing Turkish style would not mistake these two either) so I wonder if our dear Greek dance friends have by accident caused this confusion here ;)

You may be right about the source of confusion. I remember seeing in a book about folk dance that Chiftitelli is a name for Greek and Turkish folk dance. The book was about Greek folkdance (written in the 60's I believe?)--perhaps the writer was very confused. Maybe the Wikkipedia writer saw the same book?
:D