Belly Dance Apps: The Good, Bad & Bizarre

Jane

Found a belly dance related app you'd like to share?

I found one for Android on Playstore called Belly Dance Pinball that you are instructed to place on your belly to play.

"Onion Ring loves belly dance. She dances on sunny days with her farm animals."

File under bizarre :lol:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I must take a look - it certainly sounds bizarre:lol:

I tried out the Android Doumbek ones, but they aren't very good. Not much for Bellydancers that I could find. Everyone seems make them for iphone.
~Mosaic

Farasha Hanem

Yeah, there seems to be a ton of them for the iPhone/iPad. Some of the better ones are pretty pricey, but then again, so are the good instructional DVD's.

Jane

I agree about the doumbek ones for Android not being very good. There is a lag between tapping the screen and the sound. Makes it kind of pointless. I hear the iPad ones are better. I would love to find a good Android metronome app to use for belly dance. Any suggestions?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I agree about the doumbek ones for Android not being very good. There is a lag between tapping the screen and the sound. Makes it kind of pointless. I hear the iPad ones are better. I would love to find a good Android metronome app to use for belly dance. Any suggestions?
There are a couple of metronome apps for android the 2 with the best reviews have a paid ( cheap to buy) & free versions (free have ads). I haven't used them. The reviews make it difficult to know how good they are though -some like them them others don't. Here's a couple with reasonable reviews, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andymstone.metronomepro&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiY29tLmFuZHltc3RvbmUubWV0cm9ub21lcHJvIl0.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gabriel.metronome.pro&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiZ2FicmllbC5tZXRyb25vbWUucHJvIl0.
~Mosaic

Sirène

File under GOOD:

Rhythm ID for Middle Eastern Bellydance Rhythms

This link will take you to the app creator's webpage where you can then follow the link to the iTunes app store. (If for any reason you have trouble with her site, HERE is the direct link to iTunes).

It works on iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and is currently free. :cool:

There does not appear to be an Android version at this time :( but perhaps if people email her to show interest she'll consider it. ;)

Amulya

There is a game with belly dance music rhythms called RythmTreckLite. It got indeed belly dance rhythms but no idea how to play the game. I also got DumTek. I think it's ok. It got all the rhythms with some sort of diagrams and an option to play them faster or slower. Handy for explaining rhythms to students I think and for learning to play darbuka. Bit boring to dance to though. But good for student practise.

ETA: these are for iPhone and iPad.

Last edited: