Anybody wants to lose/gain weight and trying to get fitter? Encouragement thread!

Amulya

I did the counting last year on one of those web sites, but I kept on not eating enough calories according to them, but at the same time I was not loosing weight. I don't think they have an option for people with extremely low metabolisms. So I stopped doing it. I have been the same weight for a long time now so it's good.
But what I did like about the site was that you can be friends with people, so if you're on it with your friends, you can encourage each other :) there were also all sorts of forums as well. There was also a section where you can calculate how much exerts you do and how many calories your burn which is then calculated into what you eat each day.

xylia1225

I did the counting last year on one of those web sites, but I kept on not eating enough calories according to them, but at the same time I was not loosing weight. I don't think they have an option for people with extremely low metabolisms. So I stopped doing it. I have been the same weight for a long time now so it's good.
But what I did like about the site was that you can be friends with people, so if you're on it with your friends, you can encourage each other :) there were also all sorts of forums as well. There was also a section where you can calculate how much exerts you do and how many calories your burn which is then calculated into what you eat each day.

I used one of those sites before, I think it was just called Calorie Count, and it had a brief survey you filled out so it could estimate your resting metabolism. Though I just looked at the site and it looks vastly different than when I used it, so I'm not sure what's there now.

I found it useful though not for the rigid numbers but because it made me more aware of what I was eating and what activity I was (or wasn't :rolleyes:) doing. Of course I fell out of the habit because I got tired of recording everything...but over the summer I used it I lost about 15 pounds :D

DancingArabian

If anyone is on myFitnessPal and would like to be friends please feel free to send me a message! I've got about 20 friends on there from the horse forums I read and its nice sharing updates.

AyaKara

If anyone is on myFitnessPal and would like to be friends please feel free to send me a message! I've got about 20 friends on there from the horse forums I read and its nice sharing updates.

I'd love to add you! I have the same name on there, so I'm easy to find :lol:

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
With all my hard work and at time tears over 2012 I managed to lose 14.7 lbs and a tottal of 13.7 inches!!

Now I was sad that I wasn't back at my lowest weight attained, which was 164, by the new year. As I was doing my tally above I said 'what the hell' and went back to my 2011 data stats for when I was at my lowest weight ever and felt fantastic. I was still 6 lbs away , I felt like crap. Then my mind was blown!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was feeling like shit for working so hard to get back to when I looked and felt my best but what I didn't realize is how focused I had become unconsiously on the weight number; I couldn't see it on me. What I didn't see, and when I did I felt like a light switch flicked in my brain, is that while I was still 6lbs heavier, my inches were identical!!!!

Identical!!! My inches now in comparison to back in 2011 are either the same, .3 -.8 higher, or .3 -.5 lower than my 2011 inches. All I can say is that the extra 6lbs has to be due to muscle weight.

Nejmeh

Congratulations on all of you succeeding! I`ve been on both sides of the scale and both are equally difficult!

The last 7 years I was too skinny, but as I was working as a waitress in a sauna(bloody hot!) for the last2 years, eating more then enough(bur irregular because of the job) and walking at least 15km a day(again, on the job), I kind of accepted it as work related(as I used to be quite large). But now Ive been immobile for almost 6months(due to, yes, work) and I`ve gained..3 whole kg`s. 1.75 and 59kg`s, can`t seem to come over that 60 :confused:

So, it`s not my metabolisme, since I used to be much bigger. And it`s not the exercise, because I am not growing that much now I don`t have any at all. I am convinced I eat enough. I know I don`t have underweight yet(I did at my worst) but this weight doesn`t fit my body, bones are sticking out.

Amulya

But how do you feel? Do you feel drained all the time? If you feel normal maybe it's your normal body shape? You're a bit taller than me but it sounds like you got a similar body type to mine: I'm 172 (and a half I think) and weigh 54 kilos. That sounds like I weigh very little but this is my natural body shape (before I became overweight I even was less than 54 kilos, I hated that and tried to gain weight and that went a little out of hand hehe)
I have bones sticking out, but some people have that, like hip bones sticking out a little or rib cage slightly visible. I wouldn't mind putting on more weight by getting more muscles, but ATM I can't do much exercise due to an injury.

Nejmeh

At my lowest my weight was 53, highest was 74(I read something on gluten intake helping losing weight, my allergies were the reason for my getting bigger then, so there might be something in that) I see what you mean by bodytype sounds like you are the same type as me indeed! I have the advantage most don`t see I am skinny when I am dressed up because of my arab built hips. My bd teacher however almost got an heathattack when she first saw me in costume, she thought I was sick(she is a sweety really!)

How did you gain the weight the first time? Because for me also injury prohibits me from doing exercises, maybe you have some tips?

Amulya

I gained it by eating unhealthy. So definitely no tips there! I was 75 kilo at my biggest. I used to yoyo a lot :( the second time I gained a lot of weight I went from 58 to 70 in 6 weeks due to medication. It took me 3 years to get those 12 off!

I am lucky to have rounded hips too, the hip bones that stick out a bit are at the front, but don't show too much.

Recently I needed to gain weight because I was under 50 kilo due to a hospital stay and I ate it back on with bags of crisps... Now I would not suggest that, way too unhealthy! But it worked.

From people who gained weight in a healthy way, they always suggest to eat more brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole meal bread. Also beans and lentils have some carbs too and protein. The best is to do it in combination with exercise so you build some extra muscle too (but that is an issue for you, so just belly dance more!). Muscle weighs more than fat and is healthy too.

I have many food intolerances including gluten, so for carbs I eat a lot of bananas. And I have many friends who do the same and they are super fit.
So funny, there is a stupid ad showing up below this thread that says not to eat bananas! Hahaha.

M'Lady Caija

I re-started my battle against all my flubbydubb ^^ and now at day 5 at my weigh in I've lost 1kg! The plan is to have weigh-ins every saturday so it will be every 7th day instead. My goal was to loose half a kilo in 2 weeks, made that and another half in 5 days. How?

Quitting soda-drinks. Drinking tap water or bottled carbonated water instead of soda-drinks. Started to measure how long I walk each day (approx 3,5km when going to the stables and letting the horses out in their corrals), and try to keep a calorie-intake of 1500 kcal/day.

And that gave such a good start! I eat Cromium tablets at 200mcg/day and zinc as supplements to food. The cromium has helped me stabilice my blood sugar levels so I'm not craving candy and sweets all the time. Since new years I've only indulged in Chocolate 100gram once, before it was more or less 100g each day or MORE!

I've started to replace white pasta with dark pasta, same with rice going over to dark/raw rice instead of jasmin and parboiled white rice. Also today we started to bake our own bread on sourdough base.

My hubby is now comitted to loose weight and build strength so I'm not alone in this wich feels really good. Before I've tried to manage my weight but he didn't manage his so it was a bit immoralizing for me, trying to eat healthy and he was eating as usual ^^

This is not a new years resolution, or maybee it is in a way. I promised myself to try to be the best me I can be. And that is the best promise I can do for myself. Right now I'm giving my physical appearance most of my attention. :) and the emotional will come next month when I start a CBT-course to help me cope with my disorders, self-harming, borderline and bi-polar disease and some phobia as well. I'm looking forward to that but is also scared senseless of what it might bring... anyone else here battling things like that?

daimere

Currently I'm working on getting rid of 50 lbs at the least this year. I just want to be at my smallest weight again. When I reach that goal, I'll decide if I want to keep going or maintain.

I'm at 247 currently. My goal is 200-210 in 2012

Amulya

I finally managed to gain weight, 5 kilo in total (took me 6 months or so) I think I'm going to stay at my current weight, quite happy with it :)

kaymarie4201

I would not say I'm over-weight, actually I'm rather small and kinda curvy. Since I started some belly dancing, especially I believe the move is called hip pistons, my stomach look so much better without having lost weight.

Physically though I do have a problem in my back, my sacroliac joint is out of place. Has any body had this kinda of problem? It doesn't always hurt but when it does it's terrible to even walk. I'm doing some exercises but if anybody has any inputon that I would love it!

Lastly, I wonder if anybody else has this body shape where you have love handles, then below where you would wear a belt has no fat or nothing, but once down to your hips they are wide again. It is such a weird body shape, if anybody else has ever looked like that and done any exercises to help smooth out the shape that would be awesome! I'm not really trying to lose weight but to gain muscle where is needed..

Amulya

Kaymarie, maybe make a separate thread for the question about your back, that way you have a better chance more people read it and maybe someone can advice you :)

tnmom66

I am working on losing my belly and however many pounds it takes for me to lose about 10 inches off my waist!

I am lucky to be able to take bellydance classes at my YMCA and I hope to consistently take 2 classes a week whenever possible.

I have some health issues...I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue problems, but exercise is the best medicine! I swear the belly dance class I went to Tuesday night that I had to drag myself out of bed to go to felt as therapeutic as a session with a physical therapist and massage!

I have had 4 pretty solid months of being out of commission, so I am pretty much starting at square one. I am very much looking forward to becoming proficient in belly dance for fitness and fun!

Amulya

Welcome to the forum :) be careful not to overdo the dancing, exercise is good for fibro but overdoing it can bring out the CFS.

Ahava_Melantha

Well right now I am recovering from Zoe Dance Flow Drillz from Datura online. wheew.

right now the only thing I know for sure, fitness wise, is that Classical Stretch keeps my back nice and loose. I also NEED to do 10-15 min in the morning of therapetic exercises for my neck, my shoulders, my hips, soas, lower back and abs.

I have lost almost 30 pounds in 1.5 years. I would really like to lose around 50 to 60 pounds. but baby steps.

I want to do more conditioning but I'm torn between dancing drillz, weights, yoga, pilates, barre work, and I am thinking I might have to add in watp for weight loss

Munniko

Working on reducing my body fat percentage and I'm down to 28% solid. So I'm hoping if I start a bharatanatyam class then I can finish toning up my legs.