2020 World Weather Thread

Shanazel

Clear, 11 degrees, and a howling wind that drops the "feels like" temperature to -10. I will not be taking the dog for a walk along the river this morning.

Shanazel

Clear, 18 degrees, wind holding down to a reasonable level. It howled all day yesterday, tossing snowbanks into all sorts of interesting contortions. 200 miles of the east-west freeway across the southern part of the state was closed. It's closed a lot in winter. Ranchers in the area tried telling the highway department that it was a stupid place to put a major roadway, but the politicians and engineers knew best. Ha. We didn't get our paper this morning. It's printed 200 miles from here in Cheyenne, and this is the second time in a week and a half that an accident between here and there delayed delivery. No one hurt, fortunately, but missing papers has become a frequent situation since the print shop here closed down.

Daimona

A beautiful winter day. 0C, a tiny breeze and warming sun. All day. Perfect for skiing, ice skating and other winter outdoors activities. 🎿

Shanazel

I mentioned the wind howling on Friday. The following was in the paper today. We live just downwind from the anemometer on Outer Drive.

Wind speeds reached 90 mph on Outer Drive in Casper on Friday, according to the National Weather Service.

That's as fast as the winds produced in a category 1 hurricane.

The 90-mph gust was recorded on Friday afternoon, according to the weather service. High wind speeds were recorded around the state, prompting highway closures and making travel difficult.

The windy weather also resulted in significant blowing and drifting snow, according to the National Weather Service office in Riverton.

Other top wind speeds that occurred Friday around Wyoming included:

89 mph in Red Canyon;
77 mph at Muddy Gap;
71 at Fort Washakie;
69 mph at Hat Six Road on the eastern edge of Casper;
61 mph in Mills;
56 mph at the Casper/Natrona County International Airport;
55 mph at the Buffalo airport.

Greek Bonfire

I am so ready for spring. It hasn't been too bad of a winter here (for a change) but even so, winter is not my forte, and in addition, I am ready for longer days and shorter nights.

Ariadne

That's where were headed, by the end of the month we should be looking at spring. All things considered I'm glad that is still on time.

Shanazel

Headed for a high of 45 degrees today with 46 degrees predicted for tomorrow. Of course, the wind will pick up to 35-40 mph, making it feel pretty nippy. Clear and sunny today, and I heard a lot of birds this morning, including a song or two I haven't heard in a while. Even though March is still technically winter for another three weeks, I can't help feeling much more hopeful every time I flip that February calendar page out of sight for a year.

Shanazel

54 degrees yesterday, people wandering around in shirt sleeves and light sweaters. Today: mini-blizzard. Springtime in the Rockies.

Greek Bonfire

We had an easier winter this year. However, no one is enjoying much now with this pandemic Corona virus since most events are getting cancelled.

Shanazel

Went down to the dog park walkway along the river with grandson and dog today. It was about 48 degrees, a bit breezy, and partly sunny. The parking lot was full but we actually saw fewer people than we did cars. The handful of dog people we encountered politely maintained an appropriate distance and nodded pleasantly as we passed each other. I suspect this state has more introverts and hermits per capita than most places, and we have a lot of wide open country in which to scatter.

Wyoming: practicing social distancing since 1889. ;)

Daimona

Spring have been working its way towards us the past couple of weeks causing my outdoor chive and pansy to sprout (I've never seen them up this early!), but today winter came back with a couple of inches of fresh snow. 🥶

Ariadne

Yeah, it was nice and springy for a few weeks here too, long enough for the daffodils to bloom. Now it's gotten cold again. Not freezing but definitely colder, and we keep getting weather warnings. I don't mind. It's not like I'm going anywhere right now.

Shanazel

I'm expecting open daffodils tomorrow. They were almost there today. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow and Tuesday than today (upper 50s) before dropping into the upper forties on Wednesday and descending back to snow temps on Thursday. That's okay- spring will get here. Our April showers just come in the form of white concentrate.

Ariadne

:LOL:
Here our "showers" have been more melted then that but I agree, Spring will get here. I'm waiting to buy my new Basil plants until it does though.

Ariadne

Spring is here! I saw a hummingbird yesterday zoom past the back window. It's time to break out the hummingbird food. :)

Shanazel

Spring is here! 12 degrees and seven inches of snow! Saw a flock of finches huddled under the eaves. Time to break out tiny bird coats!

eeyore.jpg

Ariadne

It’s sunny and warm this Easter day. We dropped some masks off at a friend/families in an Easter basket. For the first time in my life doorbell ditching is acceptable.

I hope everyone else is well. God Bless.