2018 Weather around the world

Ariadne

There is definitely a special place in hell for Arsonists, and jail in the meantime.

Summer fires are a way of life in the western United States.

Sad but true. We had a massive one about a month ago on the mountain to the north of us.
West Valley Fire triples in size as national team arrives to assist

I'm a little unhappy with mother-nature right now. First we got two cold snaps after what should have been the last one, so I had to replace my starts twice, then it heated up to ridiculous levels early, so my corn died before developing, and now it's dropping massive amounts of water (to late to help) and I have standing water in my back yard that just won't drain. I'm one of the lucky ones though. This poor lady a few blocks away has had her home flood three times now from the rain.

So what does "Uff da!" mean?

Daimona

There is definitely a special place in hell for Arsonists, and jail in the meantime.
It must be wet cold and very wet so nothing will catch fire...

Although today, the weather in Hell is pretty nice, sunny and app. 30C-35C. (yes, there is a place named Hell in Norway).
My thermometer it is 35C right now. According to the local newspaper, it is actually the warmest day since 1901...
Thank God for the mild breeze.

The Swedish fires are getting fewer, but the biggest ones are still burning, altough more or less under control.
At least no (human) lives lost in these fires and mostly wood contrary to the recent fires in Athens; so far 84 dead and and unknown number of missing persons. And there might have been arsonists in Athens as well.... :mad:

So what does "Uff da!" mean?

In modern Norwegian the meaning is slightly dependent on intonation, but in general it is an emotive response to something negative; sad, unpleasant, unconfortable.

Last edited:

Ariadne

Thanks!

I'm slightly envious of you right now. The temperature is lower then usual for this time of year thanks to the rain (109F/42.7C) but I think I would rather have your 95F/35C right now. I am soooo tired of summer. When is Autumn going to get here?

Last edited:

Shanazel

Returning to weather, we're in a pattern of late afternoon and evening thunderstorms that drop a little or a lot of hail depending on where one lives. We had small marble sized pieces of ice fall here but further out on the plains the hailstones were the size of ping pong balls.

Ariadne

Returning to weather, we're in a pattern of late afternoon and evening thunderstorms that drop a little or a lot of hail depending on where one lives...

We've had some of that rain and hail off and on ourselves, hence the puddles in the backyard. Temperatures are pretty average for the time of year it's just unusually humid. Walking about outside leaves you feeling wrung out.

Huh, I just checked and there's an excessive heat warning right now. It's all stuff anyone who's lived here for awhile knows considering we're entering the hottest part of our year but it's interesting all the same.

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM MDT THISEVENING...

* AFFECTED AREA...Utah's Dixie and lower elevations of Zion
National Park.

* TIMING...Through this evening.

* TEMPERATURE...High temperatures in the 105-110 range are
expected this afternoon, with lows of 75-80 bringing little in
the way of overnight relief.

* IMPACTS...Heat-related illnesses such as heat exhaustion and
heatstroke will be possible for heat-sensitive groups
including children, elderly, people on certain medications
and/or with preexisting medical conditions that make them
sensitive to heat, those exercising or doing strenuous
activities, and people without a reliable source of cooling or
water.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

An Excessive Heat Warning means that a prolonged period of
dangerously hot temperatures will occur. The hot temperatures
will create a dangerous situation in which heat illnesses are
likely. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in air-conditioned areas,
stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.

To reduce risk during outdoor work the Occupational Safety and
Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks
in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by
heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke
is an emergency - call 911.

Shanazel

What I think of as Disasterous Weather Warnings have become increasingly strident in the last couple of years. It's summer. We get thunderstorms and hail and occasionally tornadoes. Yeah, don't wander around outside in a hailstorm, don't stand under a tree when there's lightning, and go to a basement when there's a tornado. Duh. But now we're seeing warnings telling people to hide in the basement anytime the sky gets a little dark or the wind comes up a bit higher than usual. Here's one from this week:

[h=3]Severe Thunderstorm Warning from 6:46PM MDT THU until 7:30PM MDT THU [/h]
bulletin remains in effect for Natrona County, WY
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RIVERTON HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... SOUTH CENTRAL JOHNSON COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL WYOMING... NORTHEASTERN NATRONA COUNTY IN CENTRAL WYOMING...

* UNTIL 730 PM MDT.

* AT 645 PM MDT, A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED 10 MILES SOUTHEAST OF KAYCEE, MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

HAZARD...PING PONG BALL SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS. PING PONG SIZE HAIL WAS REPORTED ON TEH EAST SIDE OF KAYCEE.

IMPACT...PEOPLE AND ANIMALS OUTDOORS WILL BE INJURED. EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS, SIDING, WINDOWS, AND VEHICLES.

* THIS SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR... MIDWEST AND EDGERTON AROUND 715 PM MDT.

THIS INCLUDES INTERSTATE 25 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 217 AND 247.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

FOR YOUR PROTECTION MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A BUILDING.

VERY HEAVY RAINFALL IS OCCURRING WITH THIS STORM, AND MAY LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS.

HAIL...1.50IN WIND...<50MPH

Ariadne

Huh, it’s funny what you get used to. I’m trying to wrap my mind around ping pong ball sized hail but think nothing of staying inside between 10am-10pm for a month every year. Every place has something.

Shanazel

A tornado touched down a dozen miles south of Douglas this afternoon. Douglas is about 45 miles from here. There have been more in the last ten or fifteen years than there used to be in this area; most occur in the foothills where the hot air is sweeping up off the plains and the cool air is tumbling down the mountains. Cheyenne gets the absolute worst weather in the state. When I moved here forty years ago, a tornado and grapefruit sized hail pummeled the city. About twenty years ago, some friends and I spent about an hour sitting in the customer service area of a Cheyenne shopping center because tornadoes had been spotted nearby. My cousin's children were in a school gymnasium in NE Texas that got moved sideways by a tornado. Miraculously, no one was hurt though the little town was considerably damaged. There have been several tornadoes in that area since then. Don't want to live up there myself, nope.

Daimona

Although today, the weather in Hell is pretty nice, sunny and app. 30C-35C. (yes, there is a place named Hell in Norway).
My thermometer it is 35C right now. According to the local newspaper, it is actually the warmest day since 1901...

And according to the official measurements, yesterday was the warmest day ever since they started to measure temperatures around here. Average temperature over 24 hours was 13 degress above normal.
This afternoon there was a drop to pleasant 22 C, but will rise again tomorrow.

Hail the size of ping-pong balls... oh my. The largest hails I've seen have been 1.5 cm in diameter.

Shanazel

We had a short hailstorm again this afternoon. Little stuff. This is, what, three or four days of hail in a row?

Shanazel

Very weird sky today: combination of high cloud cover and smoke from the fires west of here. We're supposed to get scattered thunderstorms which I hope will wash some of the smoke from the air without starting new fires with lightning.

Daimona

We've had the warmest summer for 70 years (average temperatures) causing very low levels in all water reservoirs. Yesterday, however, was the wettest 24h for 78 years, but no floods because the rivers were so low as well. At least temperatures are back to normal.

Ariadne

Massive rainstorms here on and off for the last week. Some flooding. Not fun to drive in but it was great to play in. :D

Shanazel

Hot, dry, and mildly windy during the day. Chilly night and early mornings. It was 45 degrees F when I went out yesterday morning about 6:30. By midday, it was in the low 90s. Weather this time of year in Wyoming will darn near give you whiplash. Everyone cringes at the slightest sign of lightning; even heated words are likely to set the place on fire.

Shanazel

Temperature went down into the teens last night and we have a pile of snow on the ground this morning. It has been snowing off and on since I got home on Tuesday but this is the first genuine winter snowstorm we've had. Guess it'll be good for the elk hunting but not so much for the driving to the mountains. They're taking the horses so I hope the roads will melt off early; it's suppose to turn partially sunny later today.