Good link about bras and sizing

Darshiva

Well that's the last time I ever shop in Horsham. Foolish salesperson convinced me (with the help of my husband) to go down a cup size, when what I really needed to do was go down a band size. Now I have $200 worth of bras that will never fit me, and one that did until the band relaxed too much so I'm going to put my costuming skills to work on it tonight to adjust it because I need a good-fitting bra for a job interview on Thursday!

I did the measure & calculate thing and I was right about my size.

ETA: she dropped me a cup AND a band size, meaning that there's absolutely no way the bras she sold me will ever fit me. Anyone want some gorgeous 12DD bras?

Last edited:

Amulya

Super annoying :( I can never find one that fits, so I buy ones where the cups fit (cups are generally too pointy and not round enough so they cut the top of my boobs) and make all the straps shorter. Even if the back straps fit the shoulder straps are way too long. Not sure why they make them so long. Also shoulder straps are too skinny, that hurts so much! I like nice wide comfy straps, but most bras don't have those. Planning to replace them all, but I haven't found any wide bra strap elastic for sale anywhere.

Darshiva

The refurbishment project is coming along well. This is a temporary fix to get me through whilst I save up for & source some new bras online, so I'm just sewing new elastic over old (yes I know, make the face) using straps I cut off bras I've since made into costumes.

As for the bra strap problem, one solution I've seen is to make some nice wide straps and cover them with satin and just put a little bit of elastic on the bottom to adjust them.

Amulya

You do that for street bras as well? I find belly dance costume straps a killer, but that's just me, I have weird skin. Belly dance costumes hurt! I have never been able to make them not hurt, even with the nicest widest straps. But I think I'm an exception.

Darshiva

I've actually seen a bra made like that. It had the most comfortable straps ever. Pity it was a triumph bra - that brand has never ever fitted me no matter what I've done to try to squeeze into them.

The bra refurbishment is going well, although the bellydancer in me is insisting I line the bloody thing! I'll wear it to my interview tomorrow and then I'll give in to my urge. I don't have time to do both before tomorrow's interview.

Amulya

I used to own a bra like that, it was a Dutch brand and they has wide satin straps and I think there was even something soft in them, so looked good and was comfy. But that brand stopped making those straps :( I think there is a big market for pretty and comfy straps.