The Official Advent Calendar 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariadne

December 1st

I checked the world clock and noticed it's already Dec 1 in some places for our members so I'm going to kick this off.

For me December means eggnog. Now I'm allergic to dairy so I have to make my own and this is the type of recipe I prefer, I have been assured it's much better with milk and heavy cream. ;) Alcohol is optional for those (like myself) who don't "indulge".

Holiday Eggnog

From Good Housekeeping

triple-tested at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute
Rich, creamy -- and safe, because it starts with cooked eggs

User Rating:*****

Serves: 32

Total Time: 35 min

Cook Time: 10 min

Ingredients:

12 large eggs
1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
2 quart(s) milk
1 cup(s) dark rum , (optional)
2 tablespoon(s) vanilla extract
1 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg, extra for sprinkling
1 cup(s) heavy or whipping cream

Directions

In heavy 4-quart saucepan with wire whisk, beat eggs, sugar, and salt until blended. Gradually stir in 1 quart milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly or until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon well, about 25 minutes (mixture should be about 160 degrees F, but do not boil or it will curdle).
Pour custard into large bowl; stir in rum, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and remaining milk. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours.
To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat heavy or whipping cream until soft peaks form. With wire whisk, gently fold whipped cream into custard mixture.
Pour eggnog into chilled 5-quart punch bowl; sprinkle with nutmeg for garnish.

Slide show of recipe: Homemade Eggnog Recipe - How to Make Eggnog - Good Housekeeping

Video of recipe:

Shanazel

Aaaaaand we're off to a great start! :clap: Thanks, Ariadne. My husband loves egg nog and I'm planning on trying this recipe for him.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Yikes Dec 1 already!!! Now that is scary - but the egg nog recipe sounds yummy ( love egg nog) - so I'll forgive December for creeping up on me so fast:D ( I suppose I had better start to wrap & post the overseas Chrissy Prezzies so I can post on Monday. Hmmm busy weekend coming up! Maybe i'll spice it up with an egg nog or 2;)
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
Sounds delicious Ariadne. I have never tried eggnog before so might give it a go. "Serves 32" :shok: I'd better make a bit less the first time :lol:

Ariadne

I'm glad you guys like it. :D

"Serves 32" :shok: I'd better make a bit less the first time :lol:
:lol: That was my first thought too but then I remembered we serve it for Christmas Dinner and 32 servings didn't sound so bad. ;)

Shanazel

She was almost 80 years old when she did that little scene. Seriously- born in January of 1927. "Fabulous" is exactly the word for her!

eartha-kitt-301687.jpg

Reactions: Dev

LunaXJJ

3/ Dec/ 2011

8pm and I remembered! Hahahaha! Here are some holiday cheer videos with cute animals. :)

I hope this is an appropriate response. First time, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
8pm and I remembered! Hahahaha! Here are some holiday cheer videos with cute animals. :)
[snip]
I hope this is an appropriate response. First time, lol.
They are entirely appropriate:D Love the girls reaction to the puppy near the end of the third one, she really jumped in shock:lol: Thank you, animals always make me smile.
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
Dec 4

Only 20 or 21 days left (depends on your culture and tradition) so it is time to gather all the elements we need for the holidays.

We need

A Christmas Tree

Snow and candles

Reindeers

Christmas lights (ok this is weird ;))

Music to set the mood

And a Santa babe (to tie it back to Dev's post earlier)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.